Are you planning to buy a new sofa, but you are confused whether you should purchase a leather sofa or a fabric sofa? My brother’s marriage is round the corner, and we daily go to our friends and relatives places to give away the invitation cards. I don’t know whether it was a sign to make the right choice or merely a coincidence but, that incidence helped us to take the right choice. We went to two homes, in one there was attractive fabric sofa with bright and eye catchy prints, that can make anyone fall in love with it. And in the second home, they had that classic leather sofa. In both the homes, there were two small kids one girl and one boy. The kids in the house, which had fabric sofa, spilled their orange juice on the couch, and it got stained. Their mother got so angry! While we were leaving her home, her smile did not reach her eyes because she spent a hell lot of money on that fabric sofa. While in the home which had a leather sofa, their daughter spilled mango juice over the sofa. Her mother laughed out loud and said, “until she doesn’t spill the things she eats or drinks on this sofa, her meal doesn’t get completed.” She just brought a cloth and wiped it off. The sofa looked as fresh as new!
So, the lesson I got from that incidence is that when we buy a sofa for my brother’s new house, it is going to be a leather sofa because soon they will also have kids maybe in the next three to four years and replacing it again would have us incur a massive loss. But, every coin has two sides so we can’t just rely on one aspect and take the decision. The below guide will help you to know which sofa set would be better for you whether a fabric sofa or a leather sofa?
- Durability: Leather is the most durable material, but it can easily get scratched. Sometimes it is also susceptible to splitting and cracking. But, no matter what leather lasts longer than the fabric sofas before they need to get replaced. Fabric sofa tends to stain, fade, and wear out more easily and quickly.
- Care And Maintenance: fabric sofas require high maintenance and are hard to clean. They catch all the intense smells and odors way too quickly. They are also highly susceptible to dust mites. Nevertheless, some fabric sofas come equipped with a cover that can be removed and cleaned more easily. The leather is stain resistant and is very easy to clean. Although, it does not need much cleaning, but it still needs to be kept clean.
- Comfort And feel: Leather adapts the prevailing weather and climate very soon. They get hot and sticky in summer and cold in winter. They are not preferred in extreme climatic conditions. A fabric sofa is comparatively more comfortable and soothing than the leather sofa.
- Color and Type Variants: Leather sofa come majorly in two or three colors that are brown, black and chestnut. You can’t get their color variants, but you can get their types. Few types of leather are used to craft sofa sets. The Very type has its own quality standard. It totally depends on how much you are willing to get in the price that you pay. While, fabric sofas come in n number of colors. They are the most preferred sofa set if you want to add a vibrant touch of color in your living room. They are also crafted with different materials like polyester, nylon, cotton, etc. Depending on the feel and finish you require, you can choose any one of them!
- Cost: Leather sofa are bit expensive but they are durable and stain resistant. While, the fabric sofas are comparatively cheaper, but they can easily catch stains.
These were some points that you can consider while buying a new set of sofa. I guess this guide will help you to know whether you want to purchase a fabric sofa or a leather sofa!